Friday, May 20, 2011

Fire and Brimstone!

I was raised in a Catholic household. We attended church on a regular basis and I eventually obtained my membership card from God in the 9th Grade like most catholic children do. However, it wasn't until after I grew and educated myself that I really began to struggle with the possibility that any God could exist, and that if he did....a religious system would be able to follow his teachings perfectly.

My first issue is the wishy-washy stance of the Catholic Church throughout its reign as the major representation of Christianity. People like Galileo, who thought that perhaps the sun was the center of the universe, were charged with crimes by the Church for blasphemy. The Church held the Ten Commandments as the true word of God, but ordered thousands of soldiers to rush Jerusalem 11 times in order to kill Muslims and regain the holy land. Families like the Medici in Florence, Italy used their influence to rig the votes and elect a pope of their own corrupt family.

We're told to use faith in God to guide us through our troubles. But...when it comes down to it, I'll never put my faith and trust in an organization run by the sins and whims of man lurking under the shroud of "God's word."

No comments:

Post a Comment