Wednesday, May 18, 2011

One small step for man, One giant leap into the world of modern network television.

You know that phrase "It's hard to find good help these days"? That one phrase where everyone gets nostalgic over "the glory days" that they're reliving through a new prescription of rose colored glasses. Well, I've got my own little quip.


It's hard to find good programming these days. I'm not saying it to flaunt around my hipster banner, I'm just tired of television networks rebroadcasting old,repetitive ideas under the guise of new programming. However, there is one show that really entertains me on a wave of conscious and sub-conscious levels.- Thanks Mr. Freud. - My family and I watched a very dramatic and thrilling season three finale of Castle last night. There are a few quirks about Castle that really strike my fancy, and I thought my affection for this show would be a very worthy subject for my first blog post.


First, and easily the most important to me, is the witty, and often comedic, manner in which the show is written. I'm a huge fan of banter and Castle seems to cater to my needs more than most comedies do. The often extraordinary lengths to which Nathan Fillion's character, Richard Castle, will go to prove his most recent conspiracy theory's connection to the case at hand offers a lighter and more playful perspective on what is, at the base of it all, a cold-blooded murder. 


Another key element is the hush-hush romance developing between the shows lead stars. It's nothing to write home about, but after three seasons of winks, long glances, and the occasional near-confession, it's at least something substantial to hold itself as a key element to the show's success. Everyone sees how great a pair they would be and thus sits on the edge of their seats when given even the slightest inkling that something will finally give. I might even go so far as to say I'm so invested in the romantic tension between Castle and Beckett that I've developed some form of vicarium complex for the two.


Castle truly is the perfect staple of genre convergence in modern television. Can anyone else think of a Romantaction Dramedy?


JR

No comments:

Post a Comment