Thursday, June 2, 2011

Bugsy Malone

The itsy bitsy spider crawled up the water spout...down came the rain and WASHED THE SPIDER OUT!


Bugs really, really creep me out. They seem more like aliens to me than any other class of creature on the planet. They're small, but efficient. They can fly, crawl, burrow. They have a million self defense mechanisms that could affect me in a negative way: stink bugs smelling up the place, wasps and bees stinging me, spiders biting me and poisoning me to death, cockroaches simply existing....bugs are awful. My fear is mostly of spiders...nothing scares me more. They skitter about on hairy legs and have these menacing external mandibles. They setup shop wherever they want without filing the necessary permits, and the only means of me closing down their illegal residence is to accidentally destroy their secret abode with my face. When I walk through a spider web, I probably stand a greater chance of dying from the rush of fear and anxiety than I do an actual spider bite. 


I think this is something that has started recently. I have pictures of me in 2nd grade standing with a rather large tarantula on my shirt, having no real qualms with this eight-legged beast. Yet here I am, over a decade later, terrified of everything spiders represent. I always thought it was the other way around. Children are supposed to have irrational fears that eventually disappear as our brains develop. Yet...my 8 year old self was way more of a badass than I'll ever be.


JR

No comments:

Post a Comment